- DO YOU USE PUNCTUATION PROPERLY?
- DO YOU KNOW WHERE YOU ARE ACTUALLY SUPPOSED TO PUT A COMMA? OR, DO YOU JUST USE ONE WHEN YOU THINK YOU SHOULD???
- DO YOU KNOW WHEN TO FINISH A SENTENCE?
BE HONEST… if you know that you probably could improve the way you write your ideas and opinions and answers… then you should take a little bit of time now to go back to the very basics and check whether your sentences FOLLOW THE RULES!
YEP… SORRY TO BREAK IT TO YOU LIKE THIS… BUT THERE ARE RULES FOR SENTENCES – AND THEY DO MATTER. :s
SO – GET SENTENCE-SMART NOW!! …and… you will (I guarantee) save yourself a whole lot of stress later!
- Writing skills are like any other skills you learn. When you stop practising the basic skills – you get sloppy.
- Imagine you want to become a top athlete or sportsperson. To become “simply the best!” you have to train… a lot! Daily training sessions will improve your knowledge of the rules of your sport – and training sessions will also improve the individual skills that you need to be able to “do” in your sport. Even the best sportspeople have to practise the simplest of skills and every training sessions (think – top rugby players practise passing and kicking skills. Top gymnasts practise posture and balance skills).
- Even though sportspeople “know” how to play and “do” their sports – if they stop practising the skills every day – at every training session – they “get sloppy” and… eventually… they’ll get kicked off the team! Right? Well… the same goes for writing skills. If you stop thinking about (and “doing”) simple things like punctuation… spelling… tense… and sentence structure – then your writing will get sloppy – and – eventually – you will end up forgetting the skills altogether!!!
- So… practise your skills and think about the rules of writing and sentence structure EVERY time you write something!